St. Louis, MO

This labyrinth is now the site of a housing development. Too bad. With 20 volunteers, we built it in two days. The paths were cut out with a sod cutter. This was very labor intensive. The sod was heavy and had to be carted away. To avoid damaging the grass areas of the labyrinth we made a runway of plywood sheets for the wheelbarrows.

The paths were then filled with material donated by the municipality. Before repaving some of the streets, they remove the top surface, using a maching that grinds it into little pieces. They gave us a truckload. When tamped down, the material hardened into a very durable weather-resistant surface. We didn't put down landscaping cloth, however, and were later plagued by weeds and grass growing in the paths. Prior to this picture the maintenance crew had sprayed the weeds to kill them, not the best policy for good energy in the labyrinth.

At the time of the construction, however, it was a different story. At the end of the first day, we had just finished the paths and covered up the sod cutter when a huge thunderstorm burst out. A bolt of lightening hit a pine tree 100 yards away and obliterated a large branch. The sound was deafening. We took it as nature's way of charging up the labyrinth.

By the end of the second day we were so tired we were in an altered state. Driving home I could barely remember where I lived. The setting was beautiful for the labyrinth, but the property was too valuable to remain a retreat center and so it was sold and developed.